Thursday, September 29, 2011

Forget-me-not


I had a ticket to attend Women's Conference at the conference center. I opted instead to walk with the Englishes, Curious George, and the Sharkbaby in the Light the Night walk to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. I don't, for even one second, regret the choice that I made. Let me explain to you why:

I'd read on Facebook comments from enormous amounts of women that President Uchtdorf's talk was fantastic, that is was written just for them, and how wonderful the conference was.

I felt a little twinge at that, that I'd missed the opportunity to hear this great man speak to our souls. I felt a little sad that I'd missed out on the opportunity to join with a group of my ward sisters, and sisters in the gospel, to lift each other up.

I kept telling myself that I needed to read the talk. If everyone was talking about it, writing about it, etc, that it must be amazing. And then life happened. I could make excuses for why I didn't get around to it. I had to grocery shop, I have a baby to take care of, I work, I'm in school, blahblahblah. The truth is, I forgot that I wanted to read it. Like so many other "gospel" things, it got pushed lower on my priority list. It lost place to being a mom, keeping house, work, and all of the other things that I use to fill my time.

And then this week exploded. For whatever reason I've been moody, emotional, exhausted, and not able to sleep well. Sharkleton has been extra-clingy. The house seems to be in a constant state of upheaval. It's just been one of those weeks.

Anyway, back to my point... I came into work tonight and noticed one of my sweet CNA's reading the talk. I mentioned that I'd heard about it, and that at some point I should make time to read it. Within 5 minutes, she walked up to me, handed me her copy, and told me to take the time right then. I think she was inspired.

I took advantage of a few quiet moments to read the words of that dear man, and the pierced me to my very soul. I know that every other LDS woman feels this way right now, but I can honestly say that talk was for me. My Heavenly Father knew what I needed to hear, and he needed to remind me of some priorities. However, I was chastened and reminded in the most gentle and loving way possible.


"...we spend so much time and energy comparing ourselves to others—usually comparing our weaknesses to their strengths. This drives us to create expectations for ourselves that are impossible to meet. As a result, we never celebrate our good efforts because they seem to be less than what someone else does.
Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.
It’s wonderful that you have strengths.
And it is part of your mortal experience that you do have weaknesses.
...

Sisters, wherever you are, whatever your circumstances may be, you are not forgotten. No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you. In fact, He loves you with an infinite love.
Just think of it: You are known and remembered by the most majestic, powerful, and glorious Being in the universe! You are loved by the King of infinite space and everlasting time!
He who created and knows the stars knows you and your name—you are the daughters of His kingdom."
There was a reason I needed that on this day at this time. There was a reason that I needed to wait a few extra days to read these wonderful expired words. So, I will strive my hardest to forget them not, because I am not forgotten.
signature

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails