Saturday, September 17, 2011

Day 11: A Book You Hate


It's not often that I full on *hate* a book, and I know I'm going to take a lot of flak for this one, but I really hated:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking the time to "discover" oneself, especially after a traumatic experience. However, I felt like this was a book full of "hey, look what I did. But guess what, you'll never be able to afford to do this, or leave your real life for this long."

I realize that this is a memoir, but it is so self-centered. I didn't enjoy reading about Gilbert's experiences, and I wasn't inspired to go on my own journey of self discovery. If you enjoyed this book, more power to you, but you will never find it on my bookshelf.
signature

2 comments:

Tara said...

YAY! Me too. I love memoirs but a memoir you got an ADVANCE to write before you even headed out on your adventure? Shady. And I just can't find much to love here.

Anonymous said...

you wouldn't be the only one: http://bitchmagazine.org/article/eat-pray-spend, etc etc.

i, myself, had mixed feelings-- hated italy (the worst of her self-indulgence), but felt it got better and rang truer in india & indonesia. having been through some pretty turbulent life-transformations of late, i couldn't help but get into it...at least symbolically :P

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails