Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 6: A Book That Makes You Sad

I had a really difficult time thinking of a book that made me sad. I tend to shy away from books that are "downers". However, this one was an award winner, so I figured I'd give it a go. The book I've chosen is:

This book was absolutely heart breaking for me. I had no idea when I picked it up how it would tug at me. The story is of a young farm girl from a mountain village in Nepal. In an attempt to bring some money and honor to her family she agrees to move to the city and work as a maid. Unfortunately, she is not put in a home to be a maid. She is sold to a brothel.

Really, when all is said and done, it is a fantastic book. The writing style is unique and it is a fairly quick read. Just be sure to read with a few tissues at the ready.
signature

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails