Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day 6: A Stranger

Dear Homer and Langley Collyer,

I just finished reading a book about you by Mr. Doctorow. I know that the book is a work of fiction, however, I also know that it is loosely based on fact. Really, I feel bad for you.

I'll be honest, I don't understand hoarding. It doesn't make any sense to me. I get that it's a compulsion and a disease. In most cases, it is something that can't be helped. But, really, a Model T in the dining room? And I can't believe that you literally worked poor Siobhan to death.

Homer, why did you never find help for your brother? You knew that he wasn't right. You may have been the one with the obvious disability, but you were infinitely more stable than Langley. You knew that his collecting was not normal. Was it just not worth the fight?

You were old enough when you lost your sight to remember how your house looked when it was still a home. I'm sure you could picture in your mind how it looked on the street amongst the other 5th Avenue brownstones. I'm sure it stood tall and proud across the street from Central Park. I've been to Manhattan. I know what that part of town looks like. I can see why your neighbors were upset with what what going on.

Anyway, having read the fictional account of your lives, I'd be interested in doing more research into the actual accounts of your lives. I want to know the why and how of your situation. I want to know what made you tick. I want to know who you were.

Thank you for piquing my interest. Unfortunately, we will always be strangers, since you are long since dead. However, I will know you someday.

Sincerely,
Me

(For those that would like to read this interesting account of these brothers the book is called Homer and Langley by E.L. Doctorow)
signature

1 comments:

Ally said...

And this is just another reason why we are best friends...I have read 3 books on Homer and Langley in the past 3 months. I'm glad I'm not the only person I know with a strange curiosity for the hoarding brothers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails