Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day 11 - A deceased person you wish you could talk to

Dear Grandma Great,

I think often of the last time I saw you. You were staying with Grandpa and Jennie and you were quite sick. You were feeling particularly bad that day, so you were resting on your bed. I was able to lie down next to you and just have a chat. We talked about school, my goals for the future, dating, and so many other things. You held my hand and told me you were proud of me. We both cried a little bit. I think we knew it would be the last time we saw each other.

I love the story about your final temple recommend. You knew that your end was near, and you wanted to leave this world the way you entered it: pure. It is a memory of you that I will treasure and pass on to my own children.

Grandma, I am under no illusions that your life was easy. I'm sure that Wilmer could be a difficult slot-head to live with, but he was your difficult slot-head, wasn't he. And to lose the babies that you did, how heart wrenching! But you lived your life with poise and grace.

Did you know that because of you I thought all grandmas were supposed to have brown hair? I couldn't figure out why some had gray or white. I think that I'll probably follow in your footsteps that way. I guess it helps to have a daughter that knows how to fix it just the way you like it, though.

Did you know that I'm a momma now? Of course you do, I'm sure you were up there in heaven prepping my little one for life in this crazy family. He's a sweet boy. Very good-natured and even-tempered. He is smiley, and happy, and so so smart. You would be proud of him. I'm going to teach him all about what good people he comes from.

Grandma, thank you so much for being an example to me. You are a wonderful woman. A woman that I will name one of my daughters after (even though I know that will make you unhappy since you never liked your name). I look forward to seeing you again someday on the other side.

Love,
Me


signature

1 comments:

WonderKitty said...

I just have to say that this post made me cry a little. It is strikingly similar to how it went down with my own Great Grandma, who I also called Grandma Great. Right down to the fact that I want to name a daughter after her and if she were here she would protest til she was blue in the face. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails