Friday, October 16, 2009

Relationship Status

I have a love/hate relationship with the "next blog" button you find at the top of many blogs. On a good day, it can be a veritable goldmine of new places to lurk, people to stalk, and interesting and/or funny things to read. On a bad day, everything is in Japanese.

I would say that one in every 15-20 blogs is either a Utahn or a Mormon Mommy in some other state. Apparently, I'm following a very popular trend among women in my age group and comparable social situation. Does this mean I'm going to stop? In the words of TAMN, "H-no!" Does it mean I'm going to be a little more discerning about what I post? Probably.

Now, on an average blog-jumping day I'll run across any number of blogs in different languages. No problem, hit the "next" button and carry on. Unless... there is no next button. Enter one of my blog pet peeves: When your blog is so fancified (yeah, I made it up, so what?) that you no longer have the blogger navigation bar at the top. Kind of annoying. So, I trek my mouse back on up to the "back" button at the top of the browser window, and suffer through letting a blog I've already passed reload so I can hit the "next" button again. *Insert long dramatic sigh here*

Another peeve: When the magical button proceeds to bounce me back and forth between two blogs that I've either already read, can't read because I don't speak the language, or don't care to read. It leads to major e-frustration.

Alas, there is a silver lining, which I would like to share with you now... Some of the fun things I found today:
Teddy Loves Lu Loves Teddy
Rockstar Diaries
Emersonmade
Dollop
Coloring Our World
Langua Vert

So, for now I'll take the bad with the good since the Wonderful World of Blogging has provided me with a few reasons to continue taking my chances.

2 comments:

WonderKitty said...

I feel the same way! I too have suffered through the dredded uncertainty of the "next blog" button. But I have also found some stalk-worthy blogs by chancing it. My favorite of them are listed in under the "Blogs I Stalk" list on my blog. I am totally checking out the ones you found.

minisuperbias said...

ha ha, i stopped blog surfing for those exact reasons, no "next" bar, and it always took me back to the same japanese/swedish/whatever blog, or that guy who posted about his bike ride two years ago. sheesh!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails