Sunday, October 11, 2009

Perfect Primary Programs

It's the holy grail of primary presidents and choristers everywhere...but I'm still convinced it doesn't exist. It's like Sasquatch (ok, sometimes he exists at Sunday dinner), Atlantis, The Perfect Husband, etc. There's just no such thing. This mystery of life is: the perfect primary program.

We had our primary program today and man, was it an adventure! I seriously admire Elizabeth (our fearless leader) for all the work, time, effort, and everything else she put into this years program. As for me, I'm just glad it's over! We have what could be called a "difficult primary". There are generally 10-15 kids on a weekly basis, and probably 75% of them are under the age of eight. Yikes. Needless to say, if you write a kid into the program (and make sure Mom and Dad know they need to be there) you get a good turn out! We had over twenty kids. Halle-freakin'-lujah! That, in and of itself, is a miracle for our ward.

Now, call me crazy, but I feel like if you've been learning a song for 6 months or more you'd probably know it pretty well. Uh, not so much. The song we started learning in January was probably our worst one of the day. Oh well, they were so dang cute to look at that it doesn't really matter. Except, maybe, the song they forgot to sing. That's right, they forgot to sing it. Ah well, the not-yet-eight year old girls did a lovely impromptu solo.

The crowning jewel of the day, however, was during the closing hymn (I Am a Child of God) when the Sunbeams had pretty much had it with the whole program idea. One little girl, we'll call her Mary, decided that it was dance time. That's right, she danced her way through the song. Yeah, we'd lost all control at that point.

Anyway, I'd say the day, while not perfect, was quite a success. Now, I'll take a nap and start getting ready for next year.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

I think that a 'perfect' Primary Program would be less satisfying for the congregation! I prefer my Primary Programs with a tad more unplanned chaos and funny kids running away from their teacher, and the one kid who sings SO much louder than the others, or the kids who race through their parts at a speed that makes the words incomprehensible. That's how I like my Primary Programs . . . that's perfect! :-)
I could only have dreamed that our Sunbeams would've started a dance-off! Unfortunately, in our ward, they only let them stay up their for the first song, then sent them back to their families. Bummer! :-)

jill said...

special, strange, little children :)

blake and mckelle said...

It turned out so good! And I LOVED watching the little kids at the end...I couldn't stop laughing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails