Sunday, April 8, 2012

Well, That's Embarrassing!

#10- Describe your most embarrassing moment.

But I learned that there's a certain character that can be built from embarrassing yourself endlessly. If you can sit happy with embarrassment, there's not much else that can really get to ya.
~Christian Bale

I'm not an easily embarrassed person, I gave up on that a long time ago. I'm constantly doing something to make a fool of myself. However, there are a few times I can think of. There's that time in junior high that I fell UP the stairs... in front of the basketball team. Or the time I was in a job interview and forgot where I went to college (true story... I still got offered the job).

The time that really sticks out to me, though, is when I was in my second year of nursing school. I'd already been working in the healthcare field for a few years, so blood, poop, etc didn't really bother me anymore. Let me set the scene for you:

We were sitting in lab, where we were required to wear lab jackets over our clothes or scrubs. It was an unusually warm early spring day, so the building thermostat was still set for colder weather. We were studying post-partum care, and learning about lochia (if you don't know what that is, you probably don't want to know).

So, there we were, looking at different (lab created) examples of what lochia looked like. My stomach started feeling a little queasy, but I figured it was just because I'd skipped lunch that day and it was going on 3 o'clock. I figured I'd sit on one of the hospital beds and just relax for a minute. As I'm sitting there I break out into a cold sweat and start to get tunnel vision. I remember thinking that it sounded like my professor was talking through a concrete wall.

The next thing I know I'm opening my eyes and staring up at my classmates from the floor. A couple of the guys helped me onto the hospital bed while one of my other classmates checked my vital signs. My professor opened up her lunch box, handed me a little cup of peanut butter and a spoon, and told me to start eating.

So, there you have it, in black and white: my most embarrassing moment. I will forever be known as the girl who passed out in the postpartum nursing lab. (As it turns out, it was just a low blood sugar reaction, but still...)
signature

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails