Sunday, January 16, 2011

I Am Not a Patient Person

The long-awaited day has arrived... my due date. And the sharkbaby is still cooking. I shouldn't be surprised. For quite some time I've been resigned to the idea of having to be induced. I just have a feeling that this little Sharkleton is going to be just like his mama: stubborn, only willing to do things on his own time, and always running just a tiny bit late. I had high hopes for him being born early or on time, because tomorrow is my birthday. Yep, I could possibly have a birthday baby. I hope for his sake that he isn't born on my birthday. It wouldn't bother me any, but I don't want him to have to be the kid that shares a birthday with his mom. So not cool.

When I saw the midwives on Wednesday they were very encouraging. Apparently I've been having early labor contractions for at least a week now. This is a good thing, because it's all work that my body won't have to do in the actual throes of labor. I was also told that their conservative estimate on a weight right now is 8.5 pounds. Yeah, that was their small guess.

I officially started my maternity leave yesterday. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself until he's born. I'm used to keeping myself on a pretty solid schedule through the week. I grocery shop on Monday, work Tuesday, do laundry and see the midwives on Wednesday, and then work again Thursday and Friday. With no work to keep me balanced I'm a little worried about filling my time. I guess I should make some dinners to freeze so Curious George doesn't have to worry about cooking for us for a little while. I'll be honest, though, what I really want to do is sit around on the couch in my sweats and just wait this little guy out.

Mostly, though, I'm starting to get nervous. I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact that this little shark-monster in my belly is going to be an actual living, breathing, human baby... any day now. I'm going to be a mommy. I'm going to be responsible for this little dude's education and upbringing. I'm sure I'll be fine, I've got a lot of great examples around me, but it's still a daunting idea.

So, I guess we just keep waiting. He has to be born eventually, right?
signature

5 comments:

Natalia said...

Good luck with the waiting. I'm sure things will be just fine.

Reid, Megan, Jackson and Aiva said...

I have a birthday baby and I love it!! good luck with everything!

Hilary said...

Due dates are kinda evil! :-) We, as a society, have gotten so hung up on them -- our doctors or midwives should just tell us, "You'll most likely have the baby some time in January," and leave it at that. Especially since most first time Moms (who aren't induced early) naturally come closer to 41 weeks than 40. With my next I'm telling everyone a month to expect the baby in, and not ever mentioning a day! :-)
He'll make his appearance soon enough -- I'm thinking of you and hoping everything goes exactly how you want it to!

Hilary said...

I LOVE the new blog look!

jill said...

you need to borrow some TV of DVD?? Grey's, glee, the big bang...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails