Sunday, December 20, 2009

Good People

I like knowing where I come from. I love hearing about my roots, hearing stories about my ancestors, and knowing who I am in relation to them.

Curious George and I attend the ward that my dad grew up in. There are a lot of "old-timers" in the ward that know my grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, etc. A few of them know who I belong to, so to speak, but more of them don't.

Today one sister in the ward, who is quite familiar with my family, came up after sacrament meeting to chat with George and I. She introduced herself (I already knew who she was) and asked if we'd been able to attend a party they'd thrown for the young marrieds in the ward. I introduced myself back, and told her what family I belonged to. She grabbed my hand and said, "Oh, look at you. I can see it now, you have the Hatch eyes and dimples!" She then proceeded to tell me a story about my family that brought a tear to my eye. She said:

"When we were still a young family, I found out that my newborn baby had a blood clot pressing on his optic nerve. We took him to the hospital and were informed that he would need surgery. I would be required to stay with him, because the doctor felt that he wouldn't survive if I weren't there to nurse him and be by his bedside. Well, when your grandparents heard about this I got a call from your grandma. She told me to drop off my kids with some clothes and their sleeping bags and they could stay as long as they needed to. I knew she had a full house already, and that she was busy with both she and your grandpa working full time. I protested, but she insisted. She kept my kids for 5 days and allowed me to be with my baby in the hospital. I just want you to know that you come from a wonderful family."

We both wiped a tear away and I thanked her for sharing her story with me.

In this season of Christmas and giving I am amazed at the love and generosity I see all around me. I am grateful to my friends and family for giving me such a great example of Christlike love and charity. I am proud to be a part of such a giving, caring, and loving family and I hope that I can carry on the legacy that has been laid down before me.

1 comments:

The Hatch Family said...

You're a gem. The nut doesn't fall far from the tree. LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails