Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Animal Magnetism

It's official... I read vampire books for the Werewolves. I didn't realize this until last night at work. I've been reading (ok, devouring... pardon the pun) the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris. I began to notice a theme: most of the vampire series I've read lately have had prominent Were characters as well, and generally speaking, I prefer the Were.

For example: Jacob Black. I've preferred him over Edward from day 1 of reading the Twilight series. I didn't find anything appealing about the character of Edward, and I loved almost everything about Jacob. And then they did the casting for the movies. Enter Taylor Lautner.I think he's the perfect Jacob, even before he packed on 40 pounds of muscle for the role. Yeah, you read that right: 40 pounds. Oh, and did I mention he's only 17? Well, he is. Still...And not only do we have one beautiful shirtless brown boy in New Moon... we have multiples. That's right, and whole pack of them. Animal magnetism at it's height, my friends.

Anyway, back to Sookie Stackhouse. I don't care for the main male character, a male vampire named Bill. Almost as much as I don't care for Edward, and that's a lot. I don't see the draw of vamps in general. So, last night at work I was reading Club Dead, the third book in the series, and they introduced a new character. Alcide Herveaux, southern gentleman, surveyor, and Werewolf extraordinaire. For me, it was love at first sight. Alcide (said Al-see) is described as being "...huge. His eyes were green. His tousled hair was curly and thick and black as pitch...He looked handsome and rough, though 'attractive' might be a more accurate word than 'handsome'." Anyway, my pick to play Alcide in the HBO series True Blood (based on the novels) is Jeffrey Dean Morgan: huge, dark, brooding, and a lot less serious than a vampire.
I think it's the warmth and humor that attracts me to Werewolves over vampires. They just seem so much more real. So... there you have it. The effects of animal magnetism on l'il ole me.

3 comments:

WonderKitty said...

Alcide was always my favorite. He gets a little moody as the series progresses, but hes still great. My favorite will always be Eric though. Oh man. Don't like him in the show though. He's supposed to be a Viking. And he's just this scrawny blonde in the show. Lame.

Michelle said...

Um, I could probably just sit and stare at that picture of the Jacob character all day. He is uber uber attractive. Not that I need to tell you that. :)

melissa mae said...

I couldn't agree with you more! Werewolves are so much better.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails