Sunday, December 9, 2012

Revised RGRC

So, after looking over the list of books on the last post I have decided to revise my goal. In my excitement at finding the list I overestimated my reading abilities (and time).
So, I'm going to read one book a month from the list until my 30th birthday. That will give me a solid 25 books from the list.  My mom pointed out that I could read one for each letter of the alphabet, and I think that's just what I'll do (which will actually give me 26 books, but what the hey).

**As an aside, I would like to address a certain commenter on my last post: I realize that not everyone's reading tastes are the same.  That doesn't make you, or me, bad.  Yes, I know that the themes from Frankenstein have made their way into many parts of modern-day consciousness. Does this mean that we don't need to read a classic?  My feeling is that the themes continue to present themselves because there is something to be found in the original work. It has made a profound enough effect on our current society that it might be worth the read.  As for books by Hillary Clinton, why not read them?  Just because I don't particularly agree with her politics doesn't mean that her books aren't worth a read. If I never explored viewpoints other than my own how would I grow in my knowledge? I'm not necessarily saying I'll read them as part of this list, but that's not to say I won't read them at some point.**

Anyway, back to the revised list:

Anna Karenina (and then I'll go see the movie)
The Bell Jar
A Clockwork Orange
Deenie
Emma
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Graduate
High Fidelity
I'm With the Band
The Jumping Frog
The Kitchen Boy
Leaves of Grass
Memoirs of a Dutiful Daughter
Notes of a Dirty Old Man
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Pygmalion
A Quiet Storm
A Room of One's Own
Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Unless
Vanity Fair
Waiting for Godot
X- There are no X books, so I will read Of Mice and Men
The Year of Magical Thinking
Z-Again, no Z books, so I will read The Virgin Suicides


signature

1 comments:

rightsaidfred said...

I admire your youthful enthusiasm. Next to you, I'm old and crabby. I just want to read math books. A pox on all your prose!

I started reading Vanity Fair one day. I found it incredibly boring. What does one do, then? Do you slog through by sheer force of will? Do you skim, looking for the interesting parts? Do you find a summary by someone who's read it before, and studied it with more interest than I could ever spool?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails