Monday, October 1, 2012

Fall



“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.
~L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables



I love autumn-time. It is, far and away, my favorite season.  However, this subtle slide from the lazy days of summer into the cool crispness of fall always make me somewhat wistful.
Something happens when we reach this spot on the calendar. Maybe it has something to do with switching out my shorts, tshirts, and summer scarves for boots, sweaters, and jeans.  Maybe it's the anticipation of the holidays (really, who doesn't love Halloween and Thanksgiving?). Maybe it's football season. Maybe it's the food: the Honeycrisp apples, the pumpkin everything, cider, pie, and comfort food.  Maybe the changing color of the leaves simply releases magic into the air.

“Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.”
~George Eliot 


I think it has something to do with autumn being a time of harvest: the reaping of what has been sown, the enjoyment of the, literal, fruits of one's labors. Where spring is the time of planting, rebirth, and growth; fall is it's simpler, more relaxed cousin. 



And so, I will embrace this change of season. I will put on my sweater, pull on my boots, and march down the sidewalk through the red and golden leaves.  I will throw open my windows and drink deeply of the richness of autumn. 

signature

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails